Comment on page
Survey App Test on Alexa
This document will help you use the Survey Skill feature of the VoiceWorx platform to create an Alexa skill app.
The following shows the general steps/activities that will be carried out in setting up the survey skill. Note: It is advisable to use same email for signup across the 3 channels below. Step 1 -3 below are required.
- 5.Setup Survey Content
- Create New Survey Content
- Design the Survey Content
- Test the Survey Content
- Schedule the Survey Content
- 1.Setup Survey App
- 2.Publish Survey App on Alexa
- 3.Test skill on Alexa.
- 1.The first step to create a Survey App is design Survey content. To Configure Survey, on the Content menu, Click on ‘Survey’.
Survey Skill home page will be displayed. Now create a new Survey Skill now. Follow the steps.
- 1.This page would display the Survey list. Initially, the list would be empty, but the purpose is to create a new Survey content. So, click on add button in top right corner.
- 2.Provide following details in the Add Survey dialog box:
Survey name :<Any Name>
Survey logo: Optional
Description: <Any Description>
Restrict Survey Custom Bot: Fill this field only if the Survey has to be restricted to a certain app.
Require Schedule: Enable / Check the box.
Date Open: <No next date>
Date Expire: <No previous date>
- 1.The Survey is created and displayed in the Survey list page.
- 1.Click “Design” to create a Design Survey for newly created Survey.
- 1.Choose the type of question needed from the Survey Designer by drag and drop the control.
- 1.Click the Edit icon to change the question and answer and then click “close”.
- 1.To create another question of the same type you can also click the Add (+) and to delete a question click the Remove (x) icon. Once the survey designer page is complete, click “Save” and “Exit”.
- 1.Click “Test” to run the survey content.
- 1.ChatBot opens with a welcome message. To begin the chat, use the command “take survey”. The ChatBot provides the option to start all the available surveys. Invoke the survey as per the provided suggestion in ChatBot. If you are not the creator of the Survey, you might receive following messages.
The message “The survey has been closed by your administrator”, It occurs because the Survey is not live yet. Let us now finish the additional setup so that other users can participate in the survey. Survey has 3 statuses basically:
- 1.Open: Survey is created and is under design, so the users cannot access survey yet.
- 2.Closed: Survey is now closed. Survey status is changed to Closed after the scheduled time period.
- 3.Live: The participants now participate in the Survey.
- 1.VoiceWorx supports a parameter “Require Schedule” for survey, which determines whether the Survey is available for anyone or requires invitation from the Admin to be able to participate in the Survey.
Require Schedule: Checked, only invited employees, for whom the Survey has been scheduled can participate. Invited employees can participate in the survey over the scheduled time period only.
Require Schedule: Unchecked, anyone in the organization can participate in the Survey.
- 1.For this document, we are demonstrating the Require Schedule: True scenario. Enable the “Require Schedule” field and click “Update”.
- 1.Click “Schedule” to create Survey Schedule.
- 1.Click “Launch Survey”.
- 1.The Survey Status would change to “Live”.
- 1.Now, we have to invite the employees for participating in Survey. In an organization, we can schedule this survey for every employee. Using the left navigation menu click “Administration” and then click the “Invite Users”.
- 1.Complete all the fields with the details of the employees and click “Send Invite”.
- 1.The invited user would be listed in “Manage User Invitations”. Repeat the same to invite another user.
- 1.Using the left navigation menu click “Content” then and select “Survey”.
- 1.Click “Schedule”.
- 1.Click “Schedule New Employee”.
- 1.Select the name of the employee for the “Employee name” dropdown field, the end date of survey and click “Save”.
- 1.The Employee Name, status, start and end date of the Survey will be displayed. You will be able to view whether the employee has participated in the Survey or not on the basis of the Status value.
- 1.To create a survey app, use the navigation menu on the left and select “Custom Apps” then select “Manage Apps” then click on “Create New Custom App”.
- 1.A popup screen will appear as shown below.
- 1.Add Custom Skill by doing the following:
Name: Survey Test
Custom Skill Type: Survey
- 1.You should see the screen as shown below:
- 1.To publish to Alexa, in the top menu tabs select “Publish” then click “Add Skill Publishing”.
External Skill Name: Survey Skill. (This will be the name of the skill in Alexa. Therefore, make it unique and different from the names of your other skills in Alexa.)
Skill Type: Survey
Skill Invocation Name: Take Survey. (This will be what users say to launch your skill in Alexa. It must be in lower case alphabets cannot contain START, BEGIN, STOP, EXIT, LAUNCH and cannot contain number or special characters.)
Uncheck the following: Require account linking, Auto Publish
Optional: Replace all placeholder values in all “Message”. Uncheck all the settings shown in the second image below.
- 1.Once in Publish Skill to Amazon Alexa, select and do the following:
Selected Skill: Survey Skill
Select Amazon Account: LWA Config
Select the LWA account setup by your admin or the one you set up in step 4 above.
Click: Publish to Alexa.
- 1.On the resulting screen, ensure that a success message shows for the publishing steps before clicking the “Go To Alexa Skill”. If success message not shown, click “Go To Skill Publishing” to fix any issue shown in publishing result.
Graphical user interface, text, application Description automatically generated
- 1.On the Alexa skill page, ensure “Full Build Successful” message is shown in bottom right corner before starting to test skill.
- 1.Go to “test” tab in the top menu, then below “test” tab change the skill test status from “Off” to “Development”.
- 1.Invoke skill by typing the invocation name (take survey) inserted in the publishing step in Voiceworx. If the invocation is successful, your configured welcome message will be displayed in the developer console.
You have successfully completed building a Survey Skill Test on Alexa.